For homeowners who enjoy walk-up mail delivery, the mail slot vs mailbox question is undeniable. Insulated mail slots, available at The MailboxWorks, provide three distinct advantages over post mount or wall mount mailboxes. Both door mail slots and thru wall mail slot mailboxes offer:
- Enhanced mail security
- Mail collection convenience
- Plus, you know if the mail came or not
Added Mail Security
The first advantage over wall mount or post mount mailboxes is that mail slot mailboxes provide a level of security unmatched by the other two options.
While post and wall mount mailboxes are often ordered with locking features, to protect one’s mail from theft and vandalism, through wall or door mail slot mailboxes ensure that the mail delivered to your home remains secure, behind the very door locks that already protect your home.
Additionally, for homeowners in neighborhoods where personal security is also a concern, a secure residential mail slot offers an added protection to the homeowner in that one does not have to even unlock the front door to collect the mail. The mail simply arrives through your door or wall mail slot.
Mail Collection Convenience
Second, mail slot mailboxes provide extraordinary convenience in the daily collection of one’s mail. Regardless of weather conditions outdoors, one remains warm and dry every time the mail is collected.
For homeowners who want to avoid a slip (or fall) in icy conditions, or getting wet during rainstorms, or getting cold in snowy conditions, the simplicity of collecting one’s mail without stepping outdoors is a wonderful and welcomed convenience.
The third advantage is that mail slot mailboxes put a permanent end to the question of whether the mail came or not. Checking to see if the mail arrives takes but a glance at the foot of one’s front door.
In fact, with a residential mail slot, one can not only conserve their home’s heat or cooling (because you don’t have to open and close the door to continually check for mail delivery), but also, when you are out of town, you never have to worry if the house sitter picked up the mail or not. Your mail will be waiting for you…inside your home!
Residential Mail Slot Options
The MailboxWorks carries three mail slot options from which to select.
- First, there’s the Belgium–crafted European Home Letter Plate mail slot that is constructed of marine grade stainless steel and finished in a smooth polished or satin brushed finish. Both finishes are available in both the small horizontal mail slot (three inches high by eleven and two-thirds inches wide) and the large mail slot (three and three-quarter inches high by fifteen and a half inches wide). Both include an interior rear mailbox plate to provide a sleek professional look.
- European Home also provides another stainless steel mail slot called the European Home Mail Slot that is four inches high and thirteen inches wide. This mail slot features a spring-loaded mail door that swings inward for easy mail delivery. An interior rear plate is also provided to finish the look on the interior side of the door.
- In addition to the European Home mail slots, The MailboxWorks also offers the American-made Streetscape Executive mail slots, which are crafted of heavy gauge brass sheeting and bar stock that is hand cut, designed, and detailed with patchwork welds. The natural brass finish is virtually maintenance-free and each Streetscape Executive mail slot darkens over time to a rich unique finish. These residential mail slots measures four inches high and eleven inches wide. Matching brass numbers are also available for the Streetscape mail slots.
For USPS mail slot requirements, you can view the USPS “installing a new mailbox” guidelines here.